Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hallelujah!

I know this is a little premature, but I didn't get out of bed once last night! 

Eric and I were near our wits end with this sleep business.  On Monday I did the 'pick up put down' method.  She seriously screamed for an hour and a half.  And I picked her up and put her down 37 times...then I lost count.

Last night we did some research and decided we needed to give her a chance to put herself back down.  I said I couldn't let her cry for more than 5 minutes and that was our agreement.  Five minutes, then go check it out.  As we turned out the lights after reading a bit, she started to stir.  She kind of whined for about a minute, maybe two...and then she was lying back down!  VICTORY!!!  She did this a couple more times throughout the night, two times I think...maybe three.  I didn't get a great night of sleep as I was checking the monitor frequently.  BUT....I didn't get out of bed.  Not once.  And definitely not for an hour and a half in the middle of the night! 

And...she woke up in a great mood!  Just talking away to let us know she was awake!  I feel that she was actually rested when she woke up and not feeling already groggy from a night of terrible sleep.  And?  She was hungry!  Sometimes it's a challenge to get her to nurse or eat any breakfast before leaving the house for the day...but not today! 

I feel like the three of us have really accomplished something here.  I had no idea how hard it would be to teach someone such seemingly basic things...and things that I look forward to several times throughout the day.  Sleeping and eating!  On the other hand, I feel that I could have helped this situation months ago, as I have been getting up the moment I hear her stir.  Does she need to eat?  Does she need a diaper change?  Does she need to be held?  We've done it all...being up every hour, having her get up just once a night, etc.  But now?  Now we know she can go through the night without eating, she can put herself back to bed...and we can all get a little more sleep and be a little more rested!

Thank you, sweet baby girl!!!  I feel like a brand new person today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment