Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy F***ing New Year

Okay, okay...I know I should have a better attitude.  See below for resolutions...  But one comment yesterday just sent me into a state of being super mad.  And super hurt.

I had a great day yesterday.  I took a day off...completely.  My office was closed for the holiday, but I decided to send Neva to daycare so that I could have a much needed, and in my opinion much deserved, day off.  I laid on the couch and drank my coffee, watched some crappy TV, drank wine at lunch and did some shopping.  All in all, it was a great day. 

I wanted to get some exercise, so decided to walk to Rebecca's to pick Neva up for the day.  I was walking with a friend and saw an old co-worker across the street.  We waved and said hello...no biggie.  I saw her again after picking up Neva and this is where things went south.  She came over and put her hand on my stomach and said, "It looks like it, so I just have to ask.  Are you pregnant again?"  I mustered up all the strength I add to not cry and laugh it off, explaining that I'm just carrying a little extra weight, I guess.  She laughed and told me it must just be my coat, which is not puffy or padded or anything.  She carried on, while my mind was spinning.  Do I look pregnant?  Is this what people think of me?  How are these few extra pounds that I'm carrying making me look like I may be pregnant?  Her final response being, "I knew you wouldn't get mad, so I thought I'd ask you."  Who doesn't get mad about a comment like that? 

Why is this a comment that's okay to say to people?  I really don't think this is a comment that should be said aloud, unless you are actually watching a woman give birth.  It's hurtful and stupid and can completely kill a woman's self confidence.

Such a crappy ending to such a great day.  I hope the rest of 2012 is better than the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment