Sunday, July 4, 2010

32 weeks

8 weeks to go in the countdown to Baby B's arrival! This week, baby is approximately 3.5-3.75 pounds and about 17 inches long! Main job for Baby over the next few weeks is to add some fat, for a nice squishy delivery!! ;)

The little kicks and punches I have been feeling are becoming harder and more pronounced. Have been told that is due to the fact that the baby's bones are getting hard and baby is getting stronger! Some of them are hard enough to almost take your breath away! However, it's still amazing to me to feel the little jabs coming from inside, as it just reassures me that Baby Bro is doing well inside!

It continues to come to my attention how lucky we have been throughout this whole pregnancy. I got off the hook pretty easily with this pregnancy, compared to some of the stories I've heard from other women who have had a much more difficult time with carrying babies. I've also seen so many women, personally and through the families I work with, who have had terrible things go wrong that cause difficulties or tragedy with their children. I am thankful everyday that Baby Bro and I have done so well throughout this whole process.

On another note, we attended our first childbirth class with Jasmine yesterday. She is one smart cookie, I tell you! We discussed all the stages of labor, what to expect and some ideas on how to cope with them. We also discussed worst case scenarios and how they are handled. She comes completely prepared to treat most cases, but also discussed getting us to the hospital, if needed and what may happen there. Sitting in our class with one other couple yesterday and hearing Jasmine explain what to expect reassured me, once again, that we have made the best choice for us. Here are some of the major positives:

Being able to birth around the house using the kitchen sink, the couch, the bed, the shower or whatever else may feel comfortable to me.

Being able to eat and drink freely throughout labor.

Being able to move freely throughout the environment.

Being in a comfortable, familiar environment.

Being around germs that my body is already familiar with.

Being surrounded only by people who I know, love and trust dearly.

Being able to snuggle with my new family right after the baby arrives in the comfort of our bed.

I continue to have so many feelings about the birth process. There were several times during class yesterday when I got almost teary eyed when discussing talking to the baby to help him/her want to come out and when discussing the first few moments after birth of meeting our baby and bonding with that sweet little bundle. I just can't wait! However, I still find myself being somewhat scared about what lies ahead. I think it's because it is so foreign and unknown to me and no other woman can tell you what the experience will be like for you. I've heard many stories from many women. Some explain it as severe cramps and the pushing not hurting that badly at all and some tell me it's the worst pain they've ever experienced in their life. Jasmine asked us to start visualizing our birth to help...so that's my homework for the next week. One helpful thing so far is Eric. I really can't imagine anyone having a more supportive partner in life and to go through this process with. He will randomly say things to me about how great I'm going to do with the birth. I don't even have to have recently expressed any concerns or feelings, yet he just knows the right things to say! Amazing, I tell you.

I am so blessed and so lucky...in so many ways.

1 comment:

  1. You will LOVE the ability to move around and eat/drink during labor. Unfortunately, that was what we wanted in our birth plan but the hospital has different rules. We are thinking about you guys and can't wait to hear of the arrival (not too soon though!) And you are completely right, no one can help you understand what labor is going to be like for you, that is one of the miracles of childbirth. Even after having one, I feel the same nerves and anxiety about labor with this pregnancy. I think it keeps you on your A Game and completely focused on the task at hand. Best wishes for you three!

    ReplyDelete